Wednesday, December 30, 2009

End of the year Ava update

Well, Ava has been doing well on her last few tests...passing with flying colors!  I'm still doing 2 non-stress tests & 1 biophysical profile a week.  At least I get to see her once a week since the biophysical profile is done via ultrasound!  On Monday they gave me a picture of her face and she is squinting her eyes!  It is a funny picture...Johnny thinks she has Mom's "tired eyes".  That is NOT a compliment, lol!

Today I had my regular OB appointment, and I tried REALLY hard to get an answer on c-section vs. regular delivery and to get a date scheduled...however, I failed miserably on both counts!  The doc did explain to me why, and it is basically because my claim would be rejected as "medically necessary" for a c-section if they projected Ava's birth weight from a 31 week ultrasound.  So, my next growth ultrasound is on 1/11, which is at 35.5 weeks.  They can project from there what her weight would be at 38 & 39 weeks and make the determination.  So, on 1/12, at my next OB appointment, I should know HOW and WHEN this little girl is coming out of me!  I hope I can make it another two weeks...I am such a planner it is hard not knowing!  Then I realize that most women have a 4 week time period (38-42 weeks) when they could give birth and realize that having to wait a couple more weeks to schedule really isn't that bad of a deal! Not to mention it makes me feel that my doctor is really doing what is in my & Ava's best interests, not what is easier for her.  Although I am a planner, so not knowing HOW is killing me!!!!!

Either way, the doc said it would not be a bad experience.  It may take me longer to heal from a c-section, but they would make sure everything was optimum for healing to help speed it along.  If I do go the labor route, she promised me that even though I had not taken a child birth class, the baby would still come out fine and that there were lots of trained people to help me :)  I will have 1 nurse with me throughout the birth to help, and the doc has promised me the nurses are VERY good at what they do.  And she promised nobody would think less of me for not having taken a class, lol...Doc was actually very impressed with my acceptance of the situation and my willingness to do whatever is necessary for a healthy baby & healthy delivery.  She must have missed all my crazy moments when I was freaking out about it!   :) 

I am hoping and I think believing at this point that the curse of being due on Feb 12 will be broken by me!  Seems like everyone else who had that due date has had some pretty huge things thrown their way (multiple girls delivered prematurely, others on bed rest)...I have 5-6 more weeks, and ***knock on wood*** will make it all the way to delivery date without any problems!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...what's up with the highest risk girl making it full term while Kristina and I deliver at 27 and 29 weeks?? ;) Glad that Ava is making it the full term...you have to make it to carry the torch for those of us that didn't make it! GO HOLLY & AVA!!! Woot Woot!!

    ReplyDelete